Pair of Blue Raiders qualify for Rio Olympics

John Ampo

Photo by Brent Beerends/MT Athletics

For the first time since 2004, MTSU has an Olympic athlete. Both John Ampomah and Janet Amponsah qualified for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro.

The Blue Raider track and field stars qualified at the International Association of Athletics Federations at Soga-Nana Memorial meet in their native Ghana.

Ampomah finished third at the NCAA Track and Field Championships, including beating his own national record, a record he set at the All-Africa Games in 2015.

Both athletes dominated at the C-USA track and field championships, with Ampomah shining at the NCAATF Championships in Eugene, Oregon.

Amponsah qualified with a time of 22.99 seconds for the 200-meter, while also qualifying for the 4×100-meter-relay with the Ghanaian national team.

“With what I have done in the Olympics for the United States and my feelings about competing for your country, I am thrilled that these two both made it,” MTSU coach Dean Hayes said Monday to the DNJ.

All eyes will be on the Blue Raiders as they perform for their country. The 2016 Olympic Games get underway from Rio De Janeiro on August 5th.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey (@connorulrey), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous High school students gain opportunity to conduct summer research at MTSU through Project SEED
Next Opinion: What Sanders dropping out means for young voters, the need for transparency in American politics