High school students train, produce stories at MTSU journalism camp

Cody and Allison shoot photos in the Center for Innovation in Media during a photo bingo game Tuesday, July 12, 2016.

Photo by Val Hoeppner, Director for the Center for Innovation in Media

The Center for Innovation in Media, in partnership with the MTSU College of Media and Entertainment, hosted the second annual Innovation J-Camp last week, providing high school students with hands-on multimedia training.

J-Camp, a five-day immersive journalism workshop, teaches high school students valuable digital, video and mobile storytelling skills.

Below is a story filed for Sidelines by Innovation J-Camp attendee and incoming MTSU freshman, Cody Strickler.

For more information, visit http://innovationjcamp.org/

Story by Cody Strickler / Innovation J-Camp

Since Pokemon GO’s release just two weeks ago, Murfreesboro students and residents have begun gathering at MTSU to catch Pokemon on campus.

“Even at night time, we’ll have about, say, 50 people at the library by itself,” said MTSU student and campus police employee Margaret Campbell.

With the amount of players flocking to campus to play the latest trend in mobile gaming, several students attending MTSU’s Innovation J-Camp, a five-day journalism camp hosted at the Center for Innovation and Media, were given the opportunity to interview Pokemon trainers. The players shared their thoughts on the game while answering questions such as how long they use the app per day and why they think this game has gotten so popular in such a short time.

Most players considered Pokemon GO enjoyable and appreciated the ease of access brought on by a free mobile game, but some had concerns when it came to the game’s features.

Previous MTSU gives community option of renewing drivers licenses on campus
Next MTSU recording industry chair among 2016 honorees for YWCA Academy for Women of Achievement