MTSU English professor and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” expert dies

Photo courtesy of MTSU English Department

MTSU English professor Dr. David Lavery passed away today following a short-term illness, according to an article by the “Daily News Journal.” Lavery was just 67 years old.

Lavery worked in the MTSU English Department since 1993, while also serving as Webmaster, Director of Graduate Studies and MTSU’s in-house “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” expert.

According to his MTSU Curriculum Vitae, Lavery has published, co-authored, edited and co-edited more than 150 literary works, essays, videos, reviews and book chapters discussing pop-culture phenomenons such as “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “The Avengers.” He was also known for co-organizing conferences around the world that focused on “Buffy” and other Joss Whedon works including “The Sopranos.”

In 2006, Lavery received the University’s Distinguished Research Award.

For more news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at@Sidelines_News.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.