Photo by David Taylor // Sidelines Archive
As students prepare for the first week of school with moving, unpacking and last minute school shopping, MTSU will begin the new semester with Week of Welcome 2016 events from Aug. 19 to Sept. 3.
This year’s Week of Welcome will follow the theme “All Aboard! Traditions are Anchored Here,” including “Finding Nemo” movie showings and annual events like “Crash the Commons.”
- Week of Welcome will start with We-Haul all day tomorrow and Saturday as students from MTSU student organizations assist new students and their families move into on-campus housing. Following We-Haul on Friday will be free dinner at 6:30 p.m. for students and families in the Student Union Commons, and an outdoor showing of “Finding Nemo” at 8 p.m. We-Haul day on Saturday will conclude with free dinner and games at the Courtyard Carnival at 6 p.m. located at the Student Union Commons.
- On Aug. 21, MTSU’s University Convocation and President’s Picnic will officially “mark the beginning of a new academic year,” according to MTSU’s website. At the Convocation students will get the chance to hear from special guest speaker and author of “For Love of Country” Rajiv Chandrasekaran, in addition to president Sidney McPhee, vice president Debra Sells and the newly elected SGA president Madison Tracy.
- From Aug. 23 to Aug. 24 local businesses and services will be in the Student Union Commons for the “Meet Murfreesboro” event. The businesses will be on campus from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. providing students with the opportunity to receive discounts, coupons and free samples of their products.
- Representatives from MTSU’s individual academic departments will congregate for the MTSU Department Fair on Aug. 25 in the Student Union Commons from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. with information about student resources. Later that evening, students will be able to attend the free Comedy Show for stand-up comedy acts at the Murphy Center.
- Week of Welcome continues into the weekend of Aug. 26 and Aug. 27 with the Raider Entertainment Variety Show in the Tucker Theater, and SGA’s traditional Fight Song Competition where student organizations will put their own spin to the MTSU Fight Song lyrics in the Murphy Center.
- On Aug. 29 local businesses seeking student employees will return to MTSU for the Student Employment Fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Student Union Commons. The next day, students will have the chance to browse community service opportunities at the Volunteer Fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The week will continue with the Student Organization Fair on Aug. 31, which over 300 of MTSU’s student organizations will attend.
- Week of Welcome’s annual “Crash the Commons” will be held Sept. 1 starting at 7 p.m. with field day games involving mental and physical challenges.
- The third annual Future Alumni Tailgate and the MTSU football game against Alabama A&M on Sept. 3. will be the last events for Week of Welcome 2016. Freshmen and transfer students will be able to participate in the Future Alumni Tailgate hosted by the Alumni Relations Office with free food, games and music three hours prior to game kickoff.
For more details on Week of Welcome 2016, visit MTSU’s Week of Welcome event schedule.