Bag checks and other big changes for MTSU football games

Photo by Caleb Luketic/Sidelines Archive

Story by Steve Barnum//Contributing Writer

MTSU football fans will see changes in security, parking and pregame activities at home games, starting with Saturday’s season-opener against Alabama A&M.

Bag checks will be at every entrance of Floyd Stadium this season. Kortne Gosha, MTSU associate athletic director of operations stated, “Security and safety is our no. 1 priority.” The bag checks are not anticipated to cause delays at the entrances, and there will be lines that attendees without bags can go through. For those who have to participate, they might take some getting used to in the first few games. Bags that are 14-by-14-by-10 inches or smaller will be permitted into the stadium.

The press release stated that even though Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill allowing guns on campuses in Tennessee, none will be allowed at any MTSU’s athletic facilities

Some of the items that will be searched for include weapons, alcoholic beverages, fireworks, and laser pointers. Always be aware of restricted items, because being in possession of any of them could lead to expulsion from the grounds and confiscation of those items.

Another change that will affect a lot of patrons is that tailgating is not allowed at the cove between Tom Jackson, the James Union Building, and Middle Tennessee Boulevard. Although, tailgaters can find free parking on a first come first serve basis on the President’s lawn, the lawn at the Wood-Stegall building along Alumni Drive, the grass area next to the Greenland Drive parking lot.

To assist in parking, game-goers will be able to park in the Greenland Drive lot north of campus for $10. Members of the Blue Raider Athletic Association with Greenland or RV passes will be able to park for free. Anyone looking for a good spot should get there early to avoid the probable congestion.

The last mentionable change is to Raider Town. If you like music, give-a-ways, inflatables, and vendors then you’ll want to head to the Gate 3 area near Floyd Stadium starting at 4 p.m. This will be the new location of Raider Town starting this season.

MTSU urges students and patrons to respect these changes and to be safe this season. If you have any questions or concerns you can contact the Middle Tennessee Ticket Office at 615-898-5261.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.