Forrest Hall: McPhee requests name change from Tennessee Historical Commission 

Photo by Sarah Grace Taylor / Editor-in-Chief 

MTSU President Sidney McPhee requested that the Tennessee Historical Commission change the name of Forrest Hall late Tuesday afternoon.

The Commission will have to approve the name change by a two-thirds majority vote following changes made to the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act earlier this year.

In his letter to the Commission, McPhee requested the change be considered at the Commission’s February meeting.

“On behalf of Middle Tennessee State University and the Tennessee Board of Regents, I am
writing to inform the Tennessee Historical Commission of our intent to file a Petition for Waiver
regarding Forrest Hall, a structure on our Murfreesboro campus. Our petition will request
approval to rename the structure as the Army ROTC Building.”

The request comes three months after the Tennessee Board of Regents unanimously approved the change and five months after the Forrest Hall Task Force recommended a renaming.

With protests over the name on campus since June 2015, the commission will be the final step in approving the motion to rename the ROTC building.

If it is decided that the name should be changed, there will then be another process in determining to what the name should be.

In April, Forrest Hall Task Force chair Derek Frisby estimated it would be 2018 before the name change process begins.

To learn more about Forrest and the debate, see our special section on Forrest Hall.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

One Response