MTSU soccer falls short in San Antonio

Photo by Brent Beerends/MT Athletics

Middle Tennessee (3-5-1, 1-1 C-USA) opened conference play strong last Sunday with a win against UAB. The Blue Raiders could not carry over the momentum, however, when they traveled to San Antonio to take on UTSA (5-5, 1-0 C-USA).

Middle Tennessee fought hard but came up short, losing 3-2. The Blue Raiders fall to 0-3 on the road this year, and 0-2 against UTSA all-time.

Standout freshman Salera Jordan was all over the field Saturday night. Jordan scored the first goal of the game to give MTSU the early lead, but UTSA responded by scoring three straight goals before the Blue Raiders could blink.

Jordan followed up her earlier goal with a header in the 56 minute, cutting the lead to one. However, the team was unable to cap off their second comeback in week.

With the two goals on the night, Jordan now leads the team with five on the season.

The Blue Raiders were greatly outshot during this game. MTSU ended the game with seven total shots while the UTSA recorded 11 shots in the first half alone. The Roadrunners would end the game with 17 shots.

Middle Tennessee will look to bounce back next week against conference opponent Florida Atlantic University (5-5-1, 1-1 C-USA). FAU will be looking for their first road win of the season. The game is scheduled for Sept. 30, at 7 p.m.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey (@connorulrey), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.