Students enter Tunnel of Love for sexual health awareness

Story and photos by Steve Barnum / Staff Writer

One of MTSU’s annual sexual health education events, Tunnel of Love, was held Wednesday in the Student Union Ballroom to inform students on sexually transmitted diseases, safe sex practices and resources for sexual health-related questions or concerns. There are many ways that students been sexually aware with their partners. Many young people who are just exploring your sexuality and may look to sites similar to loveplugs to find help when exploring their sexuality. Understanding that there are ways to find help with managing their sexual health

Outside advocacy groups and student-lead organizations manned informational and interactive booths to bring awareness to sexual health services available to students.

Students discuss health awareness and concerns at the Tunnel of Love event on Wednesday in the Student Union Ballroom. (Steve Barnum)
Students discuss health awareness and concerns at the Tunnel of Love event on Wednesday in the Student Union Ballroom. (MTSU Sidelines / Steve Barnum)

According to Lisa Schrader, the Director of Health Promotion at MTSU, about 70 percent of students are sexually active at any given year.

“We suggest anyone that is sexually active to be tested annually, or when they have a new partner,” Schrader said, referring to STD’s.

Project C.O.P.E (Community Outreach Prevention and Education) participated in Tunnel of Love to inform students about HIV prevention and the importance of testing.

Korlu McCainster, a representative from Project C.O.P.E, said she wanted students to know that “we can’t tell you to stop, but protect yourself. And be aware of the things that can happen if you don’t.”

Brisja Amos and Preston Hodges, both seniors in MTSU’s Community and Public Health program, were at the event promoting general health education with the Blue Raider Health Promotion group.

“A lot of people don’t even know if they have anything, so we are also trying to promote that if you are in a relationship, go get tested together,” Amos said. “It’s ok to talk to your partner, and it will actually bring you closer.”

For more information on MTSU’s sexual health and general health services, you can visit the Student Health Services website.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.