MTSU Local Governing Board members appointed by Governor Haslam

Photo by Erik Schelzig / AP

According to an MTSU press release, Governor Bill Haslam announced the eight appointees to the new MTSU local governing board on Thursday.

The press release states that the governor announced the board members as follows:

• Andrew Adams, former chairman and CEO of National Healthcare Corporation.
  • J.B. Baker, owner and CEO of Sprint Logistics.
  • Pete Delay, executive in Forterra Building Products’ Nashville office.
  • Darrell Freeman Sr., executive chairman of Zycron Inc.
  • Joey Jacobs, chairman and CEO of Acadia Healthcare Company.
  • Chris Karbowiak, executive vice president, chief administrative officer and chief risk officer of Bridgestone Americas Inc.
  • Stephen Smith, board chairman of Haury & Smith Contractors Inc.
  • Pamela Wright, founder, owner and CEO of Wright Travel.

“As we change the conversation and culture of expectations in our state we have to ensure our colleges and universities are supported in their efforts to create student success,” Haslam said in the press release.

The board was created this year for the purpose of providing the university with more freedom to support student success. Eventually, the governor will appoint six boards in Tennessee. The formation of these boards is the result of the Focus On College and University Success or the FOCUS Act. The main goal of the act, as stated on the tn.gov web page, is to have 55 percent of adult Tennesseans obtain a postsecondary degree or credential by 2025. Haslam plans to achieve this by focusing more intensive governance on community and technical colleges, while four-year colleges will be provided “additional autonomy.”

“I am thrilled and very excited by the nominations put forward by Governor Haslam for the Board of Trustees for Middle Tennessee State University. I am very familiar with our nominees, and know well the broad range of experience and expertise they would be able to offer our university, ” MTSU President Sidney A. McPhee stated.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com