MTSU volleyball topped 3-0 by FAU Owls

Photo by Ambre Rogue / Contributing Photographer 

Middle Tennessee (4-16, 1-5 C-USA) was looking to end a couple streaks Sunday when they took on the Florida Atlantic Owls (8-10, 2-2 C-USA). Unfortunately, MTSU saw both streaks continue in their 3-0 loss.

Not only did MTSU lose their sixth consecutive game, but the FAU win streak over MTSU increased as the Blue Raiders have now gone winless against the Owls since 2013.

The match was tough from the beginning for the Raiders as they fell into an 8-0 hole in the first set. They would put together some momentum and would match FAU for the rest of the set before ultimately falling 25-14.

The second set would open with the teams trading blows before FAU went on a 6-0 run to go up 13-6. MTSU would answer most of the points the rest of the way, but the deficit proved to be too much as they fell in the second set 25-13.

The Blue Raiders would open the third set with a two-point lead, but once again, the Owls used more big runs to create issues for MT. Another 6-0 run would give the Owls an 8-3 lead they would never relinquish. FAU would use separate runs of 7-0 and 3-0 to close out the Blue Raiders in the final set, winning the match 3-0.

MT was led by Vonnie Covington and Delaney Gallagher who tied for the team-high in kills with seven apiece. Dora Peonia was close behind with six kills of her own. Covington added two blocks on the day as well.

FAU was led by Maja Ristic’s 15 kills. Gabrielle Dixon chipped in 10 kills of her own to go along with three blocks.

The Blue Raiders will return to Murfreesboro for a few off days before they return to action against the University of Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners on Friday, Oct. 14 at Alumni Memorial Gym.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.