Stockstill, Sanders earn C-USA weekly awards after performances at FIU

Photo by Brent Beerends / MT Athletics

The effects of Saturday’s win against FIU continue to get better for the Blue Raiders. In addition to becoming bowl eligible, junior linebacker D.J. Sanders and sophomore quarterback Brent Stockstill were named as Conference USA’s Defensive and Offensive Players of the Week on Monday, respectively.

Sanders was a man on a mission when Middle Tennessee traveled to take on Florida International University. Sanders finished with seven tackles, one sack and a game-winning interception return for a touchdown, ending a potential game-winning drive for FIU in the final two minutes of play. On the pivitol play, Sanders made a great read, but used even better field vision on his way to a 48-yard return and his second career touchdown to give his team the edge on the scoreboard, 42-35.

“I played a little wide receiver in high school, so that’s where I learned my moves,” Sanders said in a Monday morning press conference.

“My family was actually at the game,” said Sanders. “They drove down to Miami to the game, and they were so excited. Both of my brothers called me after the game, and I had so many messages. It was crazy.”

Stockstill was in usual form Saturday, tossing four touchdowns and narrowly missing another 300-yard passing game (296 yards) en route to becoming Middle Tennessee’s all-time leader in passing touchdowns as just a sophomore.

The two will look to duplicate their efforts this week at home when MTSU takes on the University of Texas at San Antonio. The game is scheduled to begin at 1:30.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Tyler Lamb (@Tlamb35), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.