Update: Burst pipe causes pool in MTSU Recreation Center to close Sunday

One of the two air conditioning units within the MTSU Recreation Center pool had a pipe burst on Sunday afternoon causing the area to be evacuated and the pool to be closed for the remainder of the day.

The copper elbow responsible for the heating and cooling of the pool ruptured, releasing around 100 pounds of gas and Freon into the area.

Directly after the damage occurred, the student workers in the center assisted in the evacuation of the area and called maintenance and the first responders. Both the MTPD and the Murfreesboro Fire Department were at the Recreation Center within the hour.

According to Ray Wiley, the associate director of campus recreation, the situation was handled rapidly and efficiently.

“I was really proud of our student staff for handling it. I thought they did an excellent job,” Wiley stated. “It is always good to air on the side of caution with a situation like this.”

Wiley mentioned that the incident came as a surprise to the staff, as the units were recently refurbished.

The pool reopened on Monday with one functioning unit while the other is in the process of being repaired.

“Ideally, you want both units working, but as long as you have one, we can stay open,” Wiley said.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Blue Raider soccer shutout in season finale
Next Mathers, Rooker honored with awards following Mizzou win