Attempted robbery, simple assault by masked assailants reported near campus

Murfreesboro Police responded to an attempted robbery and simple assault that occurred in front of Domino’s Pizza on Baird Lane just before midnight Monday.

The victim, an MTSU freshman, told police he was walking on Baird Lane when someone struck him from behind and tried to take his backpack. He said he noticed three assailants, all wearing masks. He told police one subject had a “Jason” mask on, the second had a “bunny” mask on and the third was wearing a “high cheekbone, generic” mask.

The subjects did not take the victim’s backpack after he told them it was filled with clothing. One of the subjects smacked the victim on the right side of the face before they all three left, according to the incident report.

The student went to St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital, where he was interviewed by police, after the incident. There were no known witnesses and no arrests have been made at this time.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Learning to fly: MTSU's 'Peter Pan' production soars into Tucker Theatre
Next 'Worth a second look': photography student highlights humanity in law enforcement