JaCorey Williams earns MVP in weekend tournament

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sports Editor

MTSU senior JaCorey Williams was awarded with Most Valuable Player of the Challenge in Music City Tournament. The 6-foot-8, 220-pound forward averaged 24 points, 7.3 rebounds in the three-day tournament at the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville.

“I just give all the credit to my teammates,” said Williams. “I just do whatever I can to help the team win, whether it’s score, rebound, bring intensity. Whatever I need to do, I just try to help my team win.”

During Sunday’s matchup with Evansville, Williams totaled 25 points and 10 rebounds earning his first career double-double.

“I feel like I can go after a lot of rebounds, I just feel like sometimes they don’t fall to me,” said Williams. “But I was very active tonight and I’m proud I got my first double-double.”

Rebounding has been an emphasis for Williams all season from coach Davis and tonight’s performance may be a start of a new trend for the big man.

“I’m proud of JaCorey. You know he has a great competitive spirit to win,” said Davis. “Tonight was his first double-double and I’ve been harping on him and harping on him to get double-figure rebounds.”

The Birmingham, Ala. native ended with a career-high 31 points in Saturday’s overtime victory against Toledo. Through seven games, Williams averages 21.6  points and 5.9 rebounds per contest, proving he is a force to be reckoned with in college basketball.

2016-2017 Challenge in Music City All-Tournament Team

JaCorey Williams, Middle Tennessee (MVP)

Giddy PottsMiddle Tennessee

Denzel Ingram, UNC Wilmington

Steve Taylor Jr., Toledo

Jaylon Brown, Evansville

2016-2017 Challenge in Music City Final Standings

1.  Middle Tennessee

2. UNC Wilmington

3. Toledo

4. Evansville

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.