Student organizations offer free rides to the polls

Story by Marissa Gaston / Staff Writer 

Four student organizations have teamed-up to offer free transportation to the polls all day Tuesday to encourage students to vote..

Volunteers will be at Walker Library from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. to shuttle students to and from polling locations within Rutherford County.

While college students hold a great deal of influence in this election, a means of transportation may be a hindrance for many.

“We (think that it’s) important for everybody to be able to exercise their right to vote,” says Zaria Walker, co-chair of The Talented Tenth. “Some people without transportation wouldn’t be able to.”

All students have to do is know their polling location.

“One of our volunteers will then drive them to the designated location and bring them back once they’ve voted,” Walker explains.

The last-minute idea came from members of the MTSU Black Pre-Law Society, Talented Tenth, Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and Collegiate 100 whose goal is to encourage young voters to make their voices heard in an unprecedented election.

For more information, contact Zaria Walker at 309-433-6512 or Danielle Bowden at 901-330-4576.

Previous 'Understanding Putin' lecture held on MTSU campus explains Putin's history and leadership
Next Live: Local, statewide, national 2016 presidential election results