Johnson wins C-USA co-player of the week award

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sports Editor

Alex Johnson of the Blue Raiders Women’s Basketball team was awarded Conference USA Co-Player of the Week for her performances in the team’s wins over Florida International and Florida Atlantic University.

The Sophomore forward was nearly flawless against FIU, as Johnson shot seven-for-nine on Thursday against the Panthers to tally a total of 22 points, with eight points coming from the charity stripe. She also recorded two blocks defensively.

She was just as impressive in the battle with FAU, exploding for 37 points and carrying the team. She was efficient and capitalized on her opportunities, shooting 54% from the field (13-24) and making ten of her 12 attempts from the free throw line. She also helped distribute the ball with four assists and added a steal and block to her stat line.

Johnson is second in scoring in the C-USA with 19.4 points per game. Her performances also kept the Blue Raiders in a three-way tie with Charlotte and Western Kentucky for first place in the C-USA standings. Despite being named Freshman of the Week five times last season, this is Johnson’s first Player of the Week award in her collegiate career.

The Lady Raiders will hit the practice gyms over the next few days before heading to Hattiesburg, Mississippi for a showdown with the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles; tip-off is set for 6 p.m.