MTSU Campus Recreation Center introduces new equipment, fitness app

Students work up a sweat in the upstairs cardio room of the Recreation Center (MTSU Sidelines/ Emily Austin)

Photo by Emily Austin / Sidelines Archive

In an effort to create a better quality environment for fitness, the MTSU Recreation Center has started off the spring semester with some recent improvements to their facilities including new equipment, classes and a fitness app.

“Students have been asking for music in the weight room, so we’ve recently added music in there for them,” says Danielle Neely, MTSU Recreation Center Marketing Coordinator. “We also have brand new gym floors. They have been redone with a complete sand and finish, with a bright new ‘MT’ logo in the center of each court.”

The most anticipated renovation, however, is occurring in the group aerobics room located on the first floor of the recreation center. While this room is currently closed, Neely shares that upon its grand reopening in early February, it will be presented as a functional fitness studio complete with a variety of new amenities including rubberized and turf flooring and rigs, racks and bumper plates for Olympic lifts, with TRX, core bags, med balls and kettleballs available.

“With this equipment, our instructors and trainers will be able to create a progressive and exciting workout for all fitness levels,” explains Neely. “This is very exciting for us because it allows for much-needed growth in our program.”

Beginning this semester, five new classes will be offered to students, including Step and Tone, Strength and Conditioning, Raider Fit, Weightlifting 101 and Pilates. Classes are $2 each, or students can purchase a $30 “all-access” pass for the entire semester, which allows users to attend unlimited classes.

“We are really excited about the new additions to the schedule. It diversifies our schedules and allows us to capture a much larger population on MTSU’s campus,” says Neely.

Times for these new group workouts can be viewed on an app introduced by the recreation center this semester called RecIt. This app tracks the classes offered, including their times and their instructors, and gives users the option to sign up for the class directly through the app.

In addition to group classes, the recreation center also offers students seeking adventure opportunities to hike, kayak and go spelunking each semester. These excursions are sold at a group rate, making it affordable for students. If you don’t have the equipment for your preferred outdoor activity, don’t stress; the Outdoor Equipment Rental has everything you need for your outdoor activities.

Students can attend a Fitness Preview next Tuesday from 5:00 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. on the basketball courts inside the recreation center to learn more about fitness opportunities. During the preview night, there will be twenty-minute demonstrations of the Raider Fit, Hardcore Abs, Dance Fit and Yoga classes offered to give students a glimpse into how full classes will be conducted.

“There will be free fitness assessments from our personal trainers and free healthy snacks from our nutrition students. Also, for those who attend the event, they will be entered to win a cleanse and other prices from Juice Bar and a free personal training package,” says Neely.

For more information about the student fitness center, visit here.

To contact News Editor Brinley Hineman, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Former Rutherford County Sheriff Robert Arnold pleads guilty to three corruption charges
Next Student rape reported at Gentleman Jim's bar