Track and field: two Blue Raiders honored following dominant performances

Photo by Austin Lewis / Sidelines Archives

Middle Tennessee dominated the KMS Invite, taking eight of the first place finishes. Two Blue Raiders were recognized as Conference USA Indoor Track and Field male and female Athletes of the Week, as junior Solomon Afful and sophomore Qetuwrah Abdullah-Muhammed were both honored for the first time in their careers.

Afful won the award after his impressive performance in Birmingham, Alabama, winning the 200-meter dash by posting a time of 21.03. He also came in second in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.76.

Qetuwrah Abdullah-Muhammed also captured her first career indoor athlete of the week honor, by recording her personal best in the long jump. She leaped 6.07m to take first place in the invitational and the conference overall.

The Blue Raiders will be back in action Feb. 4 at the Murphy Center. The field events are scheduled to begin at 10am. The track events will begin at 2pm. This will be the last meet for Middle Tennessee before the Conference-USA Championship.

Follow MTSU Track-and-Field beat writer Jonathan Clark (@JonDemetries) on Twitter for more coverage.