MTSU softball looks to continue success of transfer pitchers

Photo by Brent Beerends / MT Athletics

As a new season begins this week for Blue Raider softball, there will be two new transfers who are eager to showcase their skills on the rubber. In the past two years, head coach Jeff Breeden and his staff have snatched up four pitchers looking to play elite Division-1 softball.

In 2016, MTSU gained Pattie Ruth Taylor who came to MTSU from Radford College. They also acquired Megan Chocallo of Towson University.

This season, the team debuts Gretchen Greer of Columbia State Community College and UT-Chattanooga product Cori Jennings, each of whom step in as juniors.

Greer, a native of Collinwood, TN, was named to the National Junior College Athletic Association All-American Team last year in Columbia. She was also a huge factor in the team’s 41-10 season record that ended with a 28-game win streak.

Her counterpart, Jennings, grew up in Bush Creek, TN. In her first season at UT-Chatt, Jennings earned a spot on the All-Southern Conference Freshman Team, posting a 2.96 ERA.

The two newcomers, in addition with seniors Chacallo and Taylor, provide MTSU with seasoned depth in pitching.

In two seasons in Murfreesboro, Chacallo has pitched a total of 153.1 innings, highlighted by a complete game performance against Western Kentucky last year en route to a school-first Conference USA Co-Pitcher of the Week award.

“This year we have really grown as a team,” Chocallo said. “We have really good chemistry and I think we have all meshed well. It’s way stronger than we had last year.”

Taylor, who accumulated a team high 4.01 ERA last season, hopes to step up her numbers as the team looks to build off their 23-31 record in 2016.

“I would love to split that in half and get it to 2.00 [ERA],” said Taylor.

The Blue Raider Softball team will start the season on Friday with two games against the University of Tennessee and Georgia Southern. Games are set to start at 1 and 5 p.m. in Statesboro, GA.

Follow MTSU Softball beat writers Cody Strickler (@CodyStricklerSL) and Nick Hardin (@nlhardin2) on Twitter for more coverage.

Previous 'What are you reading?' Wednesday
Next HumpDay Podcast Week 2: Editors discuss immigration ban, signing day