MT Softball takes improving offense into series against FIU

Photo by Brent Beerends / MT Athletics

Although they lost a hard-fought series to UTEP, the Middle Tennessee showed a lot of progress and gave a solid offensive showing, accumulating 18 runs and 33 hits over the three-game set.

In comparison to their first conference series against Western Kentucky, they only recorded four runs and 19 in a three-game Hilltopper sweep.

For the Blue Raiders to have more success in conference play, they need to keep the attacking mindset they had in El Paso.

“We attacked the ball a little bit more we made more solid contact,” junior Kristin Uselton said about the offense against the Miners. “I think we battled a little bit more.”

Uselton did a lot of the damage over the weekend, hitting a home run and driving in six RBIs in the series against UTEP.

Junior Morgan Harris was also a bright spot as she added a home run and four RBIs of her own for MT.

“On an offensive stand point we just got hard barrel contact on the ball, and were able to drive it into places that the girls weren’t playing,” Junior Morgan Harris said.

While the offense was hot last series, it is going to be a challenge against a hot FIU team who has won 13 straight games.

“This is definitely an eye-opener for us,” Harris said on the upcoming series. “We are ready to bring it to FIU this Friday.”

The Blue Raiders are back in action against the Panthers of Florida International for a three-game series at home. Game one has been moved to Friday  with first pitch set for 7 p.m.

Follow MTSU Softball beat writers Cody Strickler (@CodyStricklerSL) and Nick Hardin (@nlhardin2) on Twitter for more coverage.

Previous MT Softball falls to TSU on Wednesday
Next Davis inks new contract to stay MT's coach through 2023-24