Raiders fall to FIU in softball series opener

Photo by Tyler Lamb/ Sports Editor

Middle Tennessee (10-14, 1-5 C-USA) opened their weekend series against the Florida International Panthers (28-6, 4-0 C-USA) with a 3-0 loss on Friday night in Murfreesboro.

FIU has received votes in two of the national polls, so MTSU knew they had to bring it in order to win.

Cori Jennings started in the circle for MT, and continues to show that can be a consistent pitcher in the rotation by throwing a complete game in the effort.

Jennings solid again

Jennings’ (5-9) outsing was her tenth complete game in her thirteenth start of the season. She allowed three runs off eight hits, and struck out six in the process. Two of her strikeouts came in the top of the fifth back to back.

With only one run earned on the night, her ERA dropped down to 2.25 from 2.36 prior to the series start. On the year, she’s now pitched 87 innings and has accumulated 54 strikeouts on the season.

Offense struggles in opening game

After a solid offensive showing in their previous series against UTEP, the Blue Raiders recorded just three hits compared to having 11 in the first game of that series.

Middle Tennessee also stranded multiple base runners in the bottom of the third, fifth and seventh.

FIU Pitcher shuts down bats

Panther freshman starter Shannon Saile (9-5) halted Middle Tennessee’s bats, only allowing three hits in a complete game, while recording eight strikeouts.

Sale recorded her final strike out for the final out of the game to seal the win.

Final Stats

What’s Next?

The Blue Raiders will be back in  action tomorrow in a double-header to finish out the series against the Panthers if weather permits. First pitch set for 11 a.m.

Follow MTSU Softball beat writers Cody Strickler (@CodyStricklerSL) and Nick Hardin (@nlhardin2) on Twitter for more coverage.

Previous Western Kentucky's big innings too much for MTSU
Next The Country Column: March 24