Blue Raider softball evens the season series against Belmont

Photo by Cody Strickler/ Staff Writer

Behind a great showing from junior Gretchen Greer, the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (15-23) defeated their in-state and former OVC rival Belmont Bruins by a score of 2-0. With this win, Middle Tennessee got their first win against Belmont since April 13, 2016.

Both teams struggled to get any offense going, but Middle got off to an early start with two runs in the first, which made the difference in the game for the Blue Raiders.

Greer used solid control of all of her pitches to avoid getting into trouble by giving up only five hits and walking only one batter in one of her best outings of the season. The win moved her to 6-3 overall on the year.

Greer shines with five hit shutout

In this game, Greer showed why she is a key part of the starting rotation for Middle Tennessee. The junior from Collinwood, TN pitched a complete game, allowing no runs on five hits while striking out three.

With this game under her belt, Greer has three complete games and dropped her earned run average to 2.96.

“I focused on throwing strikes and letting my defense work,” Greer said. “It’s easy to pitch when the defense makes plays like [they did].”

Head coach Jeff Breeden believes that nothing has changed in the way Greer or how the defense performed tonight and that they simply did their jobs.

“Her best pitches are her curve ball and ‘rise ball’ and both those were working today,”  Breeden said. “We played great defense behind her… we have all kind of confidence in the world in her.”

Defense played key role in win

The defense played the most important role in the victory tonight, as huge catches by Summer Burgess, Samantha Vacko, and Precious Birdsong to keep the Bruins off the base paths.

“It gives excitement going into hit,” Burgess said. “Momentum going into our hitting, and makes us want to better.”

Final Stats

What’s Next

The Blue Raiders will be back in action on Saturday against the Blazers of UAB in a double-header; first pitch is set for 2 p.m.

Follow MTSU Softball beat writers Cody Strickler (@CodyStricklerSL) and Nick Hardin (@nlhardin2) on Twitter for more coverage.

For more sports stories, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter and Periscope at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Tyler Lamb (@Tlamb35), email sports@mtsusidelines.com