Blue Raider Softball splits double-header vs LA Tech

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sports Editor

Middle Tennessee (11-19, 2-9 C-USA) started their conference series with two games against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs in Ruston on Saturday, earning a split to begin the series.

The Blue Raiders were looking for more offense after a one-run effort in three games against FIU, but despite getting a solid performance from Pattie Ruth Taylor, they were stymied once again and took a tough loss in game one.

Game one

Pitching

Megan Chocallo started in the circle in game one and in the two innings she pitched, she allowed four runs off five hits. Taylor took over in the third, and slowed down the bats of the Bulldogs. She allowed only one hit and struck out two in her four innings of work.

The Bulldogs had the advantage pitching-wise with their starter Preslee Gallaway, who pitched six complete innings, allowing no runs, six hits and recording six strikeouts. Closer Jenny Chapman came out in the bottom of the seventh and struck out the last two batters to end the game and seal the win for the Lady Techsters

Hitting

The Blue Raiders accumulated six hits off LA Tech’s pitchers who shut the Raiders down. Freshman Summer Burgess went 3-for-3 in game one to lead the team.

Box Score

After a slow start in game one, MT remained aggressive at the plate and it showed in an improved offensive showing.

Game two

Jennings solid again

Cori Jennings took the circle for MT, and again put in a solid showing for MT. The junior pitched a complete game, allowing one run off four hits while recording one strikeout.

This game gave Jennings her sixth win of the season and was her 12th complete game in 15 starts. Her Earned Run Average is now sitting at an impressive 2.14 clip.

Deja Portillo comes through in the clutch for MT

MT finally broke through with the game tied at one going to the top of the seventh at one after a Kaylyn Slatter RBI double in the top of the fifth. With two runners on and two outs, Deja Portillo singled through the left side to score the lead runner, giving the Blue Raiders the lead. After loading the bases, the pitcher walked Precious Birdsong to score another run and bring the score to the final tally of 3-1, in favor of Middle Tennessee.

Box Score

What’s Next?

Middle Tennessee will be back in action Sunday to finish their series against the Bulldogs of LA Tech; first pitch is set for 10 a.m.

Follow MTSU Softball beat writers Cody Strickler (@CodyStricklerSL) and Nick Hardin (@nlhardin2) on Twitter for more coverage.

Previous Long day of baseball sees MTSU win both games of doubleheader
Next Raiders can't hold on to late lead; lose to Marshall 8-6