Coach Borendame gets 100th victory with MT in win against UAB

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sports Editor

Video by Cody Strickler / Staff Writer

Middle Tennessee men’s tennis hosted the University of Alabama-Birmingham Blazers in the final day of the fifth annual MT Shootout at the Adams Tennis Complex. The Blue Raiders fought and prevailed in the Conference USA match, winning by a score of 4-1.

This victory also marked head coach Jimmy Borendame’s 100th career victory at Middle Tennessee.

“I didn’t even know about it until the other day when a gentleman mentioned that yesterday was 99 (wins at MTSU),” Borendame said on his win. “I’m excited, but at the end of the day, I just keep on focusing on serving the guys, the student athletes and help them as much as I can and keep continuing to improve. Its a cool milestone, but we just got to keep building.”

The first match in doubles ended on court one where Gonzalo Morell and Tom Moonen defeated UAB’s Anru Fourie and Stefan Gonzalez by a score of 6-4. Morell and Moonen won all three of their doubles matches this weekend, and have won six straight matches.

The next group to finish was on court three where Gian Issa and Miguel Negre defeated Kenton Parton and Nikolai Manchev by a score of 6-4. This match gave the Blue Raiders the doubles point and they almost won all three matches with court two where Max Rauch and Nicolas Buitrago were up 5-4.

“I told the guys I kind of see how Conference USA is shaping up,” Borendame said to the doubles matches. “I think if the conference tournament was today we would be a four seed, and UAB would be a five seed so I feel its a huge notch in our  belts.”

Singles started to end on court five where MTs Issa defeated  UAB’s Fourie by a score of 6-2, 7-6 in straight sets.

“Today I was up early in the second set, and my opponent played some good points got back.” Issa said about his match point. “I told myself ‘hey you know I just wanted to get off the court I had three match points let’s just finish the first one.'”

Court four had Luis Diaz against Manchev with Diaz winning by a score of 6-2, 7-5 in straight sets.

Court three went in UAB’s favor when Negre battled Gonzalez. Negre fought hard, but fell by a score of 7-5, 6-4 in straight sets.

The final math ended on court six where  MT’s Buitrago battled UAB’s Parton. The match came close in the second set, but MT held on, winning by a score of 6-2, 7-6 in straight sets.

“Yesterday I sat down real quick and fought back in really tough conditions,” Buitrago said. “After being broken I kept fighting and pulled through. It was great.”

What’s Next

The Blue Raiders will be back in action on Friday against VCU in Richmond, Virginia. The match is set to start at 2 p.m.

Follow MTSU Men’s Tennis beat writers David Chamberlain (@D_Chamberlain_) and Keenan Taylor (@keenantaylor_) on Twitter for more coverage.

Previous Blue Raider Softball gets series win with 9-8 victory over LA Tech
Next Country Column 3/31