Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Country Column: 4/14

Photo Courtesy of CMT.com

Story by Tayhlor Stephenson / Staff Writer

In case you missed anything in the country music world this week, your weekly country music news recap is right here:

CMT officially announced the renewal of their hit series “Nashville” Monday morning with an Instagram post featuring Charles Esten (Deacon Claybourne) and Hayden Panettiere (Juliette Barnes). The two fan-favorites excitedly shared news of Season 6 on Instagram: http://bit.ly/2ohJbS6

The show originally belonged to ABC until they cancelled it in May of 2016. So, CMT stepped up to the plate to save country music’s favorite drama. They’ve committed to the same 22-episode run as Season 5.

The upcoming season of “Nashville” will only be the second under CMT’s production, but fans have already learned to expect the unexpected. With the loss of Connie Britton’s character Rayna Jaymes, who knows which direction the show will take next. One thing, though, is for sure: additions to the cast. Jeff Nordling, famously known for his role in “Big Little Lies” is the newest addition, along with Rachel Bilson and Kaitlin Doubleday.

Be sure to catch the mid-season premiere of Season 5 on June 1.

Lauren Alaina’s “Road Less Traveled” reached the #1 spot on the Billboard charts after six years since her introduction to the world. (Photo courtesy of Laurenalainaofficial.com)

Lauren Alaina emotionally proclaimed what may be her biggest musical accomplishment to date via Facebook Live last Saturday afternoon. The Season 10 runner-up of “American Idol” finally claimed that number-one Billboard spot with her inspiring song “Road Less Traveled.”

Sure, it took six years to dominate country music, but, as with any other hard-earned victory, it only grew sweeter with time.

Tuesday’s regular Grand Ole Opry performance proved to be anything but. Ticket-buyers purchased tickets to see an impressive lineup that included Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, Montgomery Gentry and The Oak Ridge Boys. But, attendees had an extra special surprise in store for them: Nowhere on the list to perform that night, Blake Shelton awed the audience with his unannounced appearance. He sang his famous “Ol’ Red” and his 2011 hit “Honey Bee.” Shelton was also joined onstage by The Oak Ridge Boys.

Shelton himself took to Twitter to share his surprise appearance with the virtual world.

https://twitter.com/blakeshelton/status/851980009283739648

The Opry also tweeted thanking Shelton. 

Check back next Friday for more country music news!

To contact Lifestyles Editor Marissa Gaston email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.