MTSU track & field share victories at separate meets

Photo by Jonathan Clark / MTSU Sidelines

After a very successful weekend in Knoxville, the Blue Raiders split up for two meets this weekend. A few athletes went to California to compete in the Mt. Sac Relays while the others went up the road to nearby Clarksville to compete in the Austin Peay State University Invitational.

Blue Raiders show competitiveness in California

According to Coach Hayes, the distance runners would be competing at the Mt. Sac Relays. This would be an opportunity to qualify for the regional finals. Many Blue Raiders posted great times.

Kigen Chemadi won the 5000 meter run with a time of 13:56.54. The men and women both fared well in the 800 meter run. Agnes Abu and Abike Egbeniyi finished second and third in the 800 meter run with times of 2:02.70 and 2:03.96 respectively.

Eliud Rutto placed second in the 800 meter run with a time of 1:45.70. Hillary Rono ran well in the open 1500 meter run. He placed second with a time of 3:46.48.

Excellent all around day in Clarksville

MTSU found success in the sprints and the long distance races in the APSU Invitational. Adeniji Adedamola and Charles Okeze swept the top two spots in the 400 meter dash with times of 48.07 and 48.70 respectively.

Middle Tennessee took first place medals in the 4×100 and 4×400 meter relays. The team of Adeniji Adedamola, Chaz Simmons, Ifiok Umoh and Charles Okeze placed first in the 4×100 with a time of 41.55. The 4×400 relay was won with a time of 3:23.86.

Rachel Kigen also built on her success from last weekend. She won the 3000 meter steeplechase with a time of 11:01.09.

Middle Tennessee gets a strong showing from the field

Coach Hayes stressed in the beginning of the season that the field would be crucial for the team going forward. They delivered right on cue in Clarksville.

Jacob Patten won the high jump with a leap of 6-09.75 (2.08m). Phillip Smith also had a good day in the field as he leaped 49-07.75 (15.13 m) in route to a win in the triple jump competition.

Elizabeth Dadzie also had a great showing in the triple jump. She leaped 39-08.75 (12.11 m) taking second place. Dadzie also won the javelin throw competition. She threw the javelin 40.15 meters.

Qetuwrah Abdullah-Muhammad took second in the long jump competition, jumping 19-09.75 (6.04 m).

What’s Next?

The Blue Raiders will continue their outdoor season as full unit next weekend at Auburn University.

Follow MTSU Track-and-Field beat writer Jonathan Clark (@JonDemetries) on Twitter for more coverage.