Predators shutout Blackhawks, take early lead in series

Photo courtesy of predators.nhl.com

Story by Kaitlin Reeves / Contributing Writer

The No. 8 Nashville Predators defeated their Central Division rivals, the No. 1 Chicago Blackhawks, 1-0 Thursday night at the United Center in Chicago to claim the first win of their Round One matchup.

The only goal of the game came early on from Nashville Predator’s Left Winger, Viktor Arvidsson at the 7:53 minute mark in the first period. The goal was assisted by Filip Forsberg and Ryan Johansen.

The rest of the game was a back-and-forth struggle for possession between the teams. While the Chicago Blackhawks ended up outshooting the Predators 29-20, the Nashville defense stood tall. Both teams displayed speed and agility as the game continued, but neither seized the opportunity to score.

As division rivalry games go, this one was surprisingly short on penalties. Only three total penalties were called; two against Nashville and one against Chicago.

The win for the Preds is their first road shutout in the playoffs in franchise history.

3 stars of the night

1. Pekka Rinne – Nashville Predators’ goalie recorded just his second career postseason shutout. He totaled 29 saves.
  2. Viktor Arvidsson – The Sweden native tallied the lone score of the night, which happened to be the game-winning goal.
  3. Roman Josi – The do-it-all athlete recorded three shots on goal, while also blocking five shots.

Whats next?

With one win down and three to go to advance to the second round, the Predators now turn their attention to this Saturday when they go back at it for Game 2 against the Blackhawks at 7 p.m. in the United Center.

While the Preds played well Thursday, they must keep up their speed, shots, and defensive saves in order to best Chicago.