Raiders dominate Vols on Rocky Top

Photo by Devin P. Grimes/ MTSU Sidelines

The MTSU Blue Raiders (14-15, 3-6) defeated the Tennessee Volunteers (15-11, 1-8) by a score of 7-4 Tuesday evening at Lindsey Nelson Stadium in Knoxville.

The Raiders jumped out to an early lead by scoring six runs in the second inning, and they never looked back.  The Raiders were able to load the bases in the inning and a three run triple by Brad Jarreau blew the game open.

The Vols responded with two runs in the bottom of the second to make it 6-3, where the score would remain until the eighth inning thanks to the MTSU bullpen.  Will Small had a big day in relief of starter Grant Williams, going for 3.1 innings, giving up one hit and striking out two.

In the eighth, both teams scored a run to make it 7-4.  MTSU’s run came off of a groundout from Riley Delgado that scored Elliot Curtis.

In the ninth, Drew Huff was on to shut the door and earned a four out save.

Raiders have huge second inning; chase off Vol starter Zach Warren after 1.1 innings

MTSU got the bats going early by scoring six runs in the second inning.  The Raiders went into the inning down 1-0, but were able to capitalize off of a couple extra base hits to do damage in the inning.

The game’s first run came off of Chaz Vesser reaching first on an error from Tennessee shortstop Max Bartlett.  Phillip Kunsa came in to score on the play to tie the game at 1.

After Riley Delgado reached to load the bases, Brad Jarreau promptly unloaded them by scorching a 3 RBI triple to blow the game open at 4-1.  The next at bat, Austin Dennis singled to bring Jarreau in from third to make it 5-1 MTSU.

To cap off the inning, Ryan Kemp doubled into the gap in right center field to make it 6-1 MTSU.

Brad Jarreau continues hot hitting

MTSU’s Jarreau continued his hot hitting tonight after going 2-5 with three RBI’s.  Jarreau collected a hit in each of his first two at bats.  The first time he stepped to the plate, he singled to centerfield for the game’s first hit.  In the second inning, Jarreau collected three RBI’s when he tripled home Kaleb King, Vesser and Delgado.

Jarreau has been on an offensive tear since coming back from his early season injury.  His season totals thus far are a staggering .347 batting average with two home runs and ten RBI’s in only 11 games played this year.

Box Score

What’s Next?

The Raiders will return home for a three game series with Conference USA foe Old Dominion.  Friday’s first pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m., Saturday’s at 4 p.m., and Sunday’s at noon.

Follow MTSU Baseball beat writers Anthony Fiorella (@A_Fiorella74), Ryan Nixon (@RNixon32), and Stephen Smith (@StEvo_Shield) on Twitter for more coverage.

Previous Collecting Soles: Sole Collections' impact on sneaker culture
Next Mastodon's 'Emperor of Sand' is out now