Riverdale High School student in hot water over racist post

Over the weekend, a tweet calling for action against a Riverdale High School student went viral.

The student is accused of taking a racist Snapchat photo of her in “black face” with a caption reading “I’m a n—-r.”

Sidelines reached out to Rutherford County Schools Communications and Community Relations Coordinator James Evans in regard to the incident. Evans informed Sidelines that “if the incident did not occur during school, it was out of their jurisdiction.”

From 2015 to 2016, there has been a rise of hate groups in the United States by 3 percent with a total of 917 active hate groups in 2016, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. The number of hate crimes committed in Rutherford County has seemingly increased during this time with two incidents occurring since last November.

On Nov. 16, two men reported that they found a note on their front porch that read, “f–s, go back to Cal!” The note was pinned to a package by a knife with a picture of President Donald Trump on the handle, according to the police report.

In February, two Blackman High School girls were expelled for making a swastika out of toilet paper and nail polish in the girl’s restroom. They are facing criminal charges in addition to expulsion.

Follow Brinley Hineman on Twitter at @_briiindle. 

To contact News Editor Brinley Hineman, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

One Response