Role players emerging down the stretch for MTSU softball

Photo by Brent Beerends / MT Athletic Communications

The Middle Tennessee softball team won their first conference series win against Louisiana Tech this past weekend. MTSU scored 12 runs and recorded 26 hits in the series. The team also had some players step up this weekend.

Freshman Kaylyn Slatter showed strength as she accumulated three RBIs with two of them being game-tying runs in games two and three, and the other being her first home run of her collegiate career.

“Hitting that home run was amazing, especially since it was my first home run of my college experience,” Slatter said. “Going up there, I wanted to get all the runs I could that were on base. And basically, I wanted to win the game for my team…I was up there for my team.”

Slatter hit .571 over the weekend and brought her batting average up to .275 on the season.

“She’s worked real hard and she picked up two big RBIs there in two situations where it was RBI pickups in the third game,” Coach Jeff Breeden said. ” I think she can go in and expect to be our DP (designated player) in the next few games, and she’s a power hitter.”

Sophomore Deja Portillo also showed out this past weekend for Middle Tennessee. Portillo hit a single to score a run to take the lead, and ultimately the win.

“She also did a good job. Not only did she get the hit to win the one game, she also in the bottom of the eighth made a great running catch in left field to take away a hit from a girl,” Breeden said.

What’s Next?

The Blue Raiders will be back in action Wednesday night against former OVC rival Belmont in Nashville. First pitch is set for 5 p.m.

Follow MTSU Softball beat writers Cody Strickler (@CodyStricklerSL) and Nick Hardin (@nlhardin2) on Twitter for more coverage.