Murfreesboro welcomes new restaurants, expands Nashville favorites

Photo Courtesy of Flickr

Murfreesboro is among the twenty fastest-growing cities in the United States, so it comes as no surprise that new restaurants are starting to make it their new home.

Both family-owned eateries and corporate chains are moving into the Murfreesboro community.

Below are four recent Murfreesboro arrivals.

Puckett’s Grocery (114 N Church St.)

Puckett’s Grocery, which dates back to the 1950s in Leiper’s Fork, Tenn., opened its Murfreesboro doors on Feb. 6. It’s one of few Murfreesboro restaurants that offers a variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner options.

Now with four locations, Puckett’s uses its secret ingredient of making the place feel like home to keep customers coming back.

“Here at Puckett’s (Murfreesboro), we try to make sure that everyone is welcomed and that everyone is treated exactly like we would treat our own family,” said general manager Autumn Friese. “That’s how we keep the people coming back.”

“I love how they make you feel so welcome as soon as you walk in,” said Puckett’s regular Jaalah Verge. “It really feels genuine, too. I actually feel a part of the family.”

Friese suggests that new diners try the Southern Stack for breakfast, the Brickett Taco Salad for lunch and the BBQ for dinner.

Puckett’s is open Sunday-Thursday from 7 a.m-9 p.m. and Friday-Saturday from 7a.m.-10 p.m.

Helen’s Hot Chicken (2042 Lascassas Pk.)

Based out of Nashville, Tenn., Helen’s Hot Chicken opened its Murfreesboro location on March 1, bringing the hot chicken trend to the ‘boro. Helen’s offers plain, mild, hot and “hella hot” flavoring, and they are also known for a one-of-a-kind drink named “Hella Mango.”

“We were getting so many people from Murfreesboro driving to our Nashville location that it seemed like we really had no other choice but to open a location down here,” said night shift leader Dajiah Anderson.

Helen’s started out as a food truck that served on Rosa Parks Boulevard. With Tennessee locations in Portland, Hendersonville, Madison and Clarksville, along with their solo Louisville, Texas, location, Helen’s is expanding all over the South.

“I’ve been to the Nashville location practically every time I go downtown,” said MTSU sophomore Mia Esmond. “So when I heard they were opening up a new location in Murfreesboro, I got super happy. It’s seriously the best hot chicken in the Middle Tennessee area by far.”

Helen’s is open Monday-Thursday from 11 a.m-9 p.m., Friday-Saturday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and Sundays from 12 p.m.-6 p.m.

Jonathan’s Grille (2911 Medical Center Pkwy.)

With a sports bar vibe and food of an upscale restaurant, Jonathan’s Grille opened April 4.

“Murfreesboro is exploding in so many facets with millennials, families and retirees continually moving to the area,” said CEO Mason Revelette. “The city of Murfreesboro is accommodating to new business, which is always appreciated.”

Jonathan’s offers a wide variety of food, but according to Revelette, the French dip sandwich, avocado club sandwich and prime rib are the menu’s bestsellers.

The menu also includes a pork buger, a “super food slaw” spicy chicken taco and Tuscan pizza topped with spinach, garlic, sundried tomatoes, cajun chicken, feta, mozzarella and cheddar.

Jonathan’s is open Sunday-Thursday from 11 a.m.-midnight and Friday-Saturday from from 11 a.m.-2 a.m.

Chicken Salad Chick (2855 Medical Center Pkwy.)

It all started in a kitchen, but now Chicken Salad Chick is expanding to over 60 locations in the South, making Murfreesboro its latest destination. Chicken salad is just one of many available menu options, along with soup, salad, sandwiches and pimento cheese dishes.

“A lot of people always come in under the impression that all we have is chicken salad because of our name, but it’s more than that,” Murfreesboro manager Abigail Baker explained. “(Chicken salad’s) what we’re just known for.”

Traditional, fruity and nutty, savory or spicy chicken salad dishes can be purchased at Chicken Salad Chick. They also offer gluten-free options.

“I drive all the way across town just to get some of their buffalo chicken dip,” said MTSU junior Destiny Everett. “It just reminds me of the chicken salad that my mom used to make me when I lived at home.”

Baker recommends the Cranberry Kelli — a chicken salad dish served with dried cranberries and almonds.

For those interested in trying this new restaurant, Chicken Salad Chick is open Monday-Saturday from 10 a.m.-8 p.m.

Follow Timirra Gaither on Twitter @tgaithh. 

To contact Lifestyles Editor Wesley McIntyre, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.