Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office jailer arrested for rape of a child, aggravated sexual battery

Photo Courtesy of the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office

A jailer with the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office was arrested and indicted for the rape of a child and aggravated sexual battery on Thursday.

Mark Garza, a 23-year-old detention deputy, was accused of waiting outside of a bathroom that a child was using and forcing her onto a bed and raping her after she left the bathroom.

According to the report, the incident occurred in October of 2013 and was originally reported to the Department of Child Services. The report was later turned over to the police for further investigation, and the arresting officer was assigned the case in April of 2017.

Garza was fired Thursday after the evidence was presented to the Rutherford County Grand Jury and Garza was indicted for the above charges.

According to reports by The Tennessean, Garza was released on a $150,000 bond after being booked into the Rutherford County Adult Detention Center.

Previous Shooting at Student Quarters Apartments leaves one dead
Next 'Why we walk': Students share why they are -- or are not -- walking at graduation