Suspect of Student Quarters shooting arrested for first-degree murder on Saturday

Photo courtesy of students.com

Lammoris Jones, 20, was arrested Saturday as a suspect for first-degree murder in the ongoing investigation regarding the shooting at Student Quarters Apartments on Greenland Drive. The shooting left one victim, identified as Jessie Buford, 23, dead.

According to a press release from MPD Public Information Officer Kyle Evans, detectives executed a search warrant during the investigation for one of the apartments in the complex due to suspicions of drug activity. The detectives also received corroborative statements from witnesses at Student Quarters that allowed the detectives to identify Jones as a suspect. A warrant for first-degree murder was obtained against Jones by a Violent Crimes Unit detective.

According to Evans, detectives began a search for Jones in West Tennessee and Mississippi before the Tennessee Highway Patrol found Jones traveling west of Jackson, Tennessee. Police conducted a vehicle stop and took Jones into custody. Jones was then booked for first-degree murder after he was transported to Madison County Jail and was interviewed by MPD detectives.

Previous June Anderson Center wins $10,000 Avon Foundation grant, creates new bystander intervention programs
Next Batey Farms strawberry field allows people of all ages to get in touch with nature