Smyrna’s 4th annual Depot District BBQ Festival rallies barbecue enthusiasts

Photo by Caleb Revill / Reporter

The aroma of  smoked barbecue was in the air Saturday night at Smyrna’s fourth annual Depot District BBQ Festival on Front Street. Local vendors and barbecue enthusiasts alike prepared freshly cooked barbecue for the large crowd.

From barbecue food trucks to hotdog stands and funnel cake booths, attendees were treated to an assortment of southern treats.

The event was organized by the Smyrna Parks Department; Recreation Program Supervisor Marty Smith oversaw the planning of the festival.

“It’s a community event. We live in the south, and barbecue is a popular thing,” Smith said. “It’s something to provide the community with, and something to have for the citizens of Smyrna to enjoy.”

Local vendors, including Smokin’ Buttz BBQ, Flying Pig Pork Tenderloins, The Dawg Bar and T-Roys BBQ Shack, set up food trucks and booths for hungry guests.

There was a blow-up castle and miniature train ride for families with children, as well as several cornhole boards along the sidewalk. Meanwhile, the O’Donnells, a local father-son band from Rockvale, Tennessee, provided live music, playing a variety of country music.

In spite of last year’s festival being rained out, there was no shortage of event-goers at this year’s event. At least 242 people attended the event, according to the festival’s Facebook page. Many attendees formed long lines at the food trucks, keeping cooks busy throughout the night.

Previous New position coaches Silvoy and Diabate primed for successful careers at MT
Next Discovery Center hosts Discover India Day