Men’s Golf: Marcus Byrd receives C-USA player of the week following Bearcat Invitational

Photo by Joe Murphy / Joe Murphy Photography

Middle Tennessee golfer Marcus Byrd was named the Conference USA player of the week for the week of September 25 for his stellar performance at the Bearcat Invitational.

Byrd played a key part in the Blue Raiders fourth-place finish at the tournament, and the junior also finished in a tie for third place on the individual leaderboard.

Byrd collected one of MTSU’s two eagles during the tournament in his first round on the way to shooting a four-under par (67) to start things off on Monday.

The Atlanta native picked up where he left off in round two, finishing the round at three-under par to bring his Monday total to six-under, a figure earned him best on the team by four strokes.

On the final day, Byrd helped the Raiders get past the fifth-ranked Illinois Fighting Illini on the leaderboards with another performance of three-under par to bring his tournament total to a ten-under par (203). That mark tied for the best 54-hole performance in school history.

This is the second time in Byrd’s career that he has received a conference player of the week award.

Follow MTSU sports reporter Anthony Fiorella on Twitter at @A_Fiorella74 for more coverage.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Crime: Murfreesboro Police arrest woman for drug charges at Chelsea Place Apartments
Next Men's Tennis: Porteset to be a major player for the Blue Raiders