Multiple auto burglaries reported along Greek Row, MTSU Police increase patrol in area

Photo by Max Smith / Sidelines Archive

According to reports by MTSU Police, multiple auto burglaries have occurred on Greek Row and the surrounding area over the past several days.

From Sept. 24 to Sept. 27, seven auto burglaries and thefts were reported to the MTSU Police by students who were parked in the Greek Row parking areas off of North Rutherford Boulevard. An MTSU advisory was sent out via email Wednesday that announced that police have increased efforts to curb the burglaries and thefts along Greek Row.

The advisory stated, “MTSU Police has increased patrol in this area and continues to investigate … If your vehicle was parked in this lot between Sept. 23 and Sept. 27 and you have not yet checked your vehicle, please do so and alert MTSU Police if you find that your vehicle has been broken into, even if nothing was stolen.”

The email also advises students to take extra precautions in the securing of their vehicles, including closing windows and locking doors, parking in well-lit areas and not leaving valuable items in vehicles.

“We moved our patrol efforts more to that area because of the crimes that have been going on,” said Andrew Bennett, an MTSU Police Sgt. “We have a certain patrols that are done each night, and we typically stay in the high-traffic areas, such as the Student Union the library area … We are going to have (those officers) over by Greek Row as well. There’s a lot of cars out in Greek Row, and it seems like people are trying to find car doors unlocked.”

According to Bennett, MTSU officers made multiple arrests related to the burglaries on Greek Row on Tuesday evening.

“We think that we may have stopped the problem,” Bennett said. “But, in case they are not the only suspects, we are still going to be in the area to try to prevent any more (car burglaries).”

Students are being encouraged to contact MTSU Police at 615-898-2424 if they see any suspicious activity.