Review: The Killers maintain their versatility with ‘Wonderful Wonderful’

Story by Erin Alexander / Contributing Writer

The Killers released their long-awaited fifth studio album “Wonderful Wonderful” on Friday, marking their first release since 2012’s “Battle Born.”

The Las Vegas-based indie/alternative rock band has been a mainstream staple since 2001, boasting many hits that can often be heard on many radio stations. 

However, the eleven songs on “Wonderful Wonderful” are not exactly what one would think of when picturing traditional rock. Many of the songs on this album seem to produce a monotone feel with not too much excitement going on in the music.

Based on previous work, the band seems to enjoy producing and writing conceptual lyrics detailing relatable life alterations that every person goes through. “The Man” weaves a story of being 20 years old and feeling invincible, able to take on the world. The lyrics “Nothing can break me down, don’t need no advice, I got a plan” portray a young, fiery attitude of thinking one can carry the weight of the world on their shoulders all alone.

However, “Rut” airs a more sensitive track that engages listeners due to the raw theme. The lyrics “Don’t give up on me ’cause I’m just in a rut, I’m climbing but the walls keep stacking up” give a stark contrast to the album, delving into thoughts of depression and even desperation.  

“Out of My Mind” explains the overwhelming feeling of not being able to shake a certain person from one’s mind.  The lyrics “Because I can’t get you out of my mind, to get you out of my bed, to get you out of my heart” portray the idea of having someone stuck in your head — no matter how hard you try to shake them. 

The songs and their lyrics are diverse in meaning. One song talks about invincibility, another discusses vulnerability and another describes obsessiveness over a person. Overall, the lyrics for a lot of these songs seem to be a bit confusing out of context. In order to understand them, you have to really listen to the music. Perhaps this was the band’s intent for their music to be taken seriously. Listening to the whole album can obviously help understand the tone and style that they are going for. 

The lyrics of “Wonderful Wonderful” focus heavily on the roller coasters we go through in life, while the music has the classic Killers indie rock vibe to it. The enormously popular band has had a lot of fans excited for this album for a long time. 

More information about The Killers and “Wonderful Wonderful” can be found on their website here.