Football: Alabama natives recognized after trip home

Photo by Darwin Moore/ MTSU Sidelines

Middle Tennessee freshman running back Brad Anderson was named to Pro Football Focus-College’s National Offensive Team of the Week for week seven’s performance against the University of Alabama-Birmingham Blazers.

Pro Football Focus’ college football section names an offensive and defensive team each week for every Football Bowl Subdivision conference, as well as selecting a national offensive and defensive team each week. The entirety of weekseven’s national offensive team can be viewed below.

Anderson set new career-high marks in both all-purpose yards (218) and receiving yards (117) against UAB.

The speedster was also MTSU’s leading rusher, carrying the ball 15 times for a total of 81 yards with a longest run of 24 yards.

Anderson’s 117 receiving yards, nine receptions and longest catch of 35 yards also led the team.

The Alabama native’s lone touchdown got the scoring started in the first quarter when he escaped out of the backfield on a wheel route to haul in a 27-yard touchdown reception from quarterback John Urzua.

Aside from being named to the national team of the week, Anderson was named to the Conference USA team of the week along with MTSU offensive lineman Chandler Brewer.

Brewer made his sixth start of the season against UAB and continued to help Anderson set new personal best marks.

The Alabama native has been in on 399 plays this season and is averaging 66.5 snaps per outing.

The 310-pound guard has made the All-CUSA offensive team of the week twice over the previous three weeks.

The Blue Raiders return home Friday night to take on the Conference USA eastern division-leading Marshall Thundering Herd. Kick-off is set for 6 p.m.

Follow MTSU sports reporter Anthony Fiorella on Twitter at @A_Fiorella74 for more coverage.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.