Football: Brooks earns second Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week

Redshirt sophomore Khalil Brooks records five tackles for loss and three sacks against the FIU Panthers on Oct. 7, 2017, in. Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Devin P. Grimes / MTSU Sidelines).

Photo by Devin P. Grimes / MTSU Sidelines

Middle Tennessee State outside linebacker Khalil Brooks was named October’s first Conference USA Player of the Week after his performance against the Florida International Panthers.

Brooks tied J.K. Sabb’s 2005 school record of five tackles for loss against the Panthers and added three sacks on the day, including a strip sack of FIU’s Alex McGough in the fourth quarter.

The redshirt sophomore also tied his career high for tackles in a game with eight. Brooks’ other eight-tackle performance in week two against Syracuse earned him his only other C-USA Player of the Week award.

“I didn’t realize (I set the record), I was just playing the game,” Brooks said in a post-game interview last week. “We had a chip on our shoulder from the FAU game and felt like we need to play hard, so that’s why we played like that (against FIU).”

Brooks and the Blue Raiders will be back in action on Saturday against the UAB Blazers in Birmingham, Alabama. Kick-off is set for 5:30 p.m.

Follow MTSU sports reporter Anthony Fiorella on Twitter at @A_Fiorella74 for more coverage.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous The Monday After Report: Blue Raiders Birmingham-bound for crucial matchup
Next Soccer: Blue Raiders fall in overtime to Thundering Herd