Men’s Tennis: Far from home, Edge off to hot start for MTSU

Photo by Joi Williams / MTSU Sidelines

Story by Jonas Saich / Sports Reporter

Back home in Great Britain, Middle Tennessee tennis player Christopher Edge competed in Cumbria County at  annual tournaments. After his first tournament win at age 10, success became a recurring pattern.

“I won in my county for 10 consecutive years in singles and doubles,” Edge said.

Not just a county player, he became a force to be reckoned with when he moved to Scotland to attend a tennis academy, reaching as high as 65th in the men’s national rankings. His accomplishments stretch far, including winning the U16 Indoor Scottish tournament and being a semifinalist at the International Tennis Federation Bournemouth tournament.

None of those are as important, however, as winning the U18 Scottish Open in both singles and doubles.

“It felt great to win (the Scottish Open),” Edge said. “It gave me several opportunities to play against 22-year-olds in other events.”

Those victories came thanks to his several strengths. When someone looks at Edge, his physical gifts are very apparent.

“I’m quite tall and left-handed,” Edge said. “I also like to serve and volley, which is very important.”

Of course, it helps to have a coach improve your abilities, and Edge has had several experienced coaches help him along the way.

“One of my coaches (David Brunner) was ranked top 10 in the ITF, and he really pushed me on the last two years,” Edge said.

Brunner is no stranger to tennis; he even lived with 2016 Wimbledon champion Andy Murray during his junior year of school. He defeated Novak Djokovic, one of the greatest professional tennis players of all time, in ITF play.

But even with his current talent, Edge wanted to go outside of Scotland to improve his play. When searching for a college, it was a friend who showed him MTSU.

“An ex-pupil from my school suggested MTSU, where he was trained by Coach Borendame,” Edge said.

When Edge practiced in front of him, Borendame recognized the potential he had, and invited Edge to join the team.

Edge has grown into the area, loving the size and feel of the campus, and even beyond Murfreesboro. And even the climate has served him well.

“Nashville is a very nice place,” Edge said. “It seems like a great area to live … I actually train better in the heat, so it works out well for me.”

Since arriving at Middle Tennessee, the team has made him feel more than welcome.

“At my previous academy, there were some people that didn’t get along,” Edge said. “But (at MTSU), literally everyone gets along … like a family.”

He hasn’t missed a beat since joining the Blue Raider family, going undefeated in singles and losing only one match in doubles in the past three events, though he has more important things in mind.

“I haven’t thought much about (the record),” Edge says. “It’s been good training, and I’m working hard for the season ahead.”

He’ll continue his hard work throughout his freshman campaign, so don’t be surprised if Edge ends up being one of the best players in the conference.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.