Monday, March 18, 2024

Murfreesboro Police Chief Karl Durr resigns, Deputy Chief Michael Bowen becomes acting chief

Photo courtesy of The Tennessean

According to a City of Murfreesboro press release, Murfreesboro Police Chief Karl Durr submitted his letter of resignation, which was accepted by City Manager Rob Lyons, on Thursday.

The press release states that Deputy Chief Michael Bowen will oversee the operations of the department as the acting chief after Durr’s resignation, which becomes effective on Friday. Durr’s letter of resignation was released by the City of Murfreesboro on Thursday.

The letter reads,

“It has been an honor to serve as the chief of police for the City of Murfreesboro which I have come to appreciate and value this community. Change is an on-going process that can involve many adjustments effecting many people. Occasionally, those adjustments do not align for everyone involved in or affected by this process. I believe that this is the case with respect to my role as Chief of Police and that it is best for my family, myself, the department and the City that I resign my position effective Oct. 20, 2017. I sincerely wish the Department, its courageous officers and dedicated staff the very best in the future.”

Durr began his position as police chief in April of 2016, after serving as the assistant chief in the city of Eugene, Oregan. He was hired in February of 2016 after Glenn Chrisman, the previous police chief, retired in 2015.

City of Murfreesboro Public Information Officer Mike Browning confirmed that Sgt. Kyle Evans, the former public information officer for the MPD, left the department earlier this month as well.

There is currently no known information regarding the reason for Durr’s resignation.