Review: Demi Lovato returns with passion on ‘Tell Me You Love Me’

Demi Lovato released her sixth studio album, “Tell Me You Love Me,” on Friday, a follow-up to her 2015 release “Confident.”

“Tell Me You Love Me” is an album about lost love mixed with memories of passion. The tone of some songs is solemn, while others are more upbeat. The album only has one collaboration — with Lil Wayne — and the solo effort offers a more personal feel. 

The first track, and my personal favorite, is “Sorry Not Sorry.” It’s a song for an ex-significant other or former friend, basically saying “look at me now.”

The second track, “Tell Me You Love Me,” starts off with an apology, followed by a beat drop and energetic music. The song’s message is one of the importance of love, differing from the tone of the first song. This song’s strong declaration of love adds an element of romanticism to the album.

Skipping down to the last song on the album, “Hitchhiker” has a slow start but a catchy beat and fun lyrics. The lyrics “As long you’re the driver, I’m your hitchhiker” provide a solid ending to the album to match its solid beginning.

Every song on the album is good, but my least favorite is “Lonely,” the song featuring Lil Wayne. The song is too slow and throws off the mood of the rest of the album.

“Tell Me You Love Me” is a more personal album than Lovato’s previous work. She recently went through a break up and it could be argued that it influenced the music on this album significantly. I personally love when artists incorporate their life into their songs; it shows that they are still humans with real life problems.