Soccer: Blue Raiders lose tough 3-2 match to Techsters

Photo by Devin P. Grimes / MTSU Sidelines

Story by Calvin Smith / Sports Reporter

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raider soccer team (7-8, 4-4) took a step back on Thursday night, losing by a score of 3-2 to the Louisiana Tech Techsters (11-2-5).

Peyton DePriest added to her impressive freshman campaign with her eleventh and twelfth goals of the season.

Penalties ultimately led to the Blue Raiders demise Thursday night. Two fouls around the box led to free kicks for the Techsters and both ended in goals.

“First, we can’t to give up silly fouls around the box,” said coach Aston Rhoden. “That’s one of the things we knew coming into this game that LA Tech was going to be strong at. We have to make sure we’re more focused and disciplined around the box.”

Nomvula Kgoale from LA Tech capitalized on a free kick to tie the game, less than two minutes after DePriest struck first in the ninth minute.

MTSU’s second goal came via a beautiful cross from Sally Gill to DePriest again for her twelfth goal of the season. LA Tech scored the game-winning goal off of another free kick with just 19 minutes left to seal the deal.

MTSU now has a losing record at home at 4-5 and are 5-5 when the game is decided by one goal.

DePriest tied for control of C-USA goals leaderboard

With her two goals tonight, DePriest now has goals number 11 and 12 on the season. She is tied with Martha Thomas of Charlotte for the Conference USA lead.

It is worth noting Thomas has played in 17 games this season while DePriest has played in just 15. DePriest also leads C-USA in goals per game with .800.

“Her confidence and the confidence the team has in her to put her in the position she’s in (is the key to her success this season),” Rhoden said of his star freshman.

By The Numbers

LA Tech: 17 shots, six fouls

Middle Tennessee: 14 shots, seven fouls

Peyton DePriest: Two goals, five shots

Amber Hoot: assist, Five shots

Sally Gill: assist, three shots

Sydney Chalcraft: six saves

What’s next?

The Blue Raiders will be back in action on Sunday at 2 p.m. as they host the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles.

For more sports stories, follow Calvin Smith (@calvin_smith33) on Twitter.

For more sports stories, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines ad on Twitter and Periscope at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.