Crime: Two formerly convicted felons arrested at Student Quarters on multiple charges

Photo by Eric Goodwin / MTSU Sidelines

A Murfreesboro Police officer arrested two formerly convicted felons on Tuesday evening at Student Quarters on 902 Greenland Drive. Kevin Washington, 19, and Matthew Waters, 19, were both illegally possessing firearms.

According to the police report, the officer was already at Student Quarters “due to high drug activity and shootings.” The officer observed a vehicle with its lights off in the back of the parking lot with three occupants inside.

The report states that Waters leaned forward “as if to place something on the floor of the vehicle,” and the officer smelled the odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle.

Washington and Waters, both passengers in the vehicle, stated they were on probation for various felonies. Two loaded handguns were found under Washington and Waters’ respective seats. An NCIC check revealed both had been stolen.

Washington said he received the handgun from a “(junkie).”

Waters said the other gun was the driver’s, but he had taken it from the driver because she was on drugs.

After being mirandized, the officer found about 16 grams of marijuana and 16 Xanax pills on Washington and 4 grams of weed on Waters.

Dispatch advised Washington had previous felony convictions within Rutherford County for aggravated assault and felony evading arrest. Waters had prior convictions for attempted aggravated robbery and felony possession of a schedule II narcotic out of Rutherford County.

The officer arrested Washington for felony possession of a schedule IV narcotic, felony possession of a schedule VI narcotic, possession of a weapon by a convicted felon and possession of a firearm during commission of felony.

Waters was arrested for theft, simple possession of a schedule VI narcotic and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon.

The driver, who the officer had found with a half-burnt marijuana cigarette, was cited for simple possession of a schedule VI narcotic.