Women’s Basketball: Johnson named to Preseason All-Conference Team

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sidelines Archives

Middle Tennessee’s basketball honors continued Wednesday morning as junior forward Alex Johnson was selected to the 2017-18 Preseason All-Conference USA Basketball team.

The Murfreesboro native made huge contributions the Blue Raiders last season, and she is expected to do the same this season. She averaged 20.2 points per game after shooting an impressive 53.7 percent from the field and grabbed 5.4 rebounds a game in 2016-17.

Defensively, Johnson showed that she could be a rim protector, as she sent back 33 blocks last season for the Lady Raiders.

After an impressive off-season, Hall-of-Fame Lady Raider head coach Rick Insell thinks that Johnson has only scratched the surface as a player.

“I think that you’re going to see an Alex Johnson that you haven’t seen before,” Insell said. “She has really put the time in the strength and conditioning room.”

This seems to be the first of many awards that Johnson might receive this season. The talented forward has already scored over 1,000 points in her MTSU career.

Johnson has been the only Lady Raider to receive any preseason honors for the upcoming season so far.

The Blue Raiders host Tennessee Wesleyan University in an exhibition game this Sunday, Oct. 29, in the Murphy Center with tip-off at 3 p.m.