Football: Thomas honored after career-high rushing performance

Photo by Devin P. Grimes / MTSU Sidelines

Middle Tennessee running back Tavares Thomas was named to the Pro Football Focus-College national offensive team of the week for his play against Charlotte in week 11.

Thomas is the first MTSU player to be named to PFF-College’s national offensive team of the week this season.

After starting the season at linebacker, Thomas was converted to running back due to injuries and may be the starter this week at Western Kentucky since Brad Anderson suffered an injury against Charlotte.

After Anderson went down, Thomas stepped up to help carry the MTSU offense to its second straight 30-point performance.

Thomas toted the rock a season-high 29 times against Charlotte on his way to 195 yards.

The former Navarro College (Texas) product also scored twice on the ground, with both touchdowns coming from inside the five-yard line in the first quarter to give the Blue Raiders a 14-7 lead.

Thomas has a team-high six rushing touchdowns on the year, and his 6.2 yards per carry is tops on the team as well (minimum 10 carries).

The man they call “Smash” and the rest of the Blue Raiders will be in action Friday night against the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers.

Follow MTSU sports reporter Anthony Fiorella on Twitter at @A_Fiorella74 for more coverage.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

One Response