Monday, March 18, 2024

Table Talk: The Soda Bar gives Murfreesboro locals an unforgettable experience

Photo by Tayhlor Stephenson / MTSU Sidelines

Its no secret that new restaurants and shops are taking over Murfreesboro, but few offer such a unique fare as The Soda Bar, which celebrated its ribbon cutting Wednesday night.

Tucked inside the city’s hottest date night go-to at the Fountains at Gateway, located on Medical Center Parkway, guests are lured in by the fluorescent lighting that shines through the open-windowed wall, which acts as an indoor-outdoor bar. If I hadn’t already planned a visit to The Soda Shop, their inviting atmosphere would have pulled me in anyway.

With plentiful potential purchases, I was delighted to graze a clean, well-organized menu that effortlessly guided me to the perfect choice: the Mint Mashup, made up of Mint Trax ice cream, cola, whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, mini chocolate chips and a cherry to top it off.

But I couldn’t visit such a place and seclude my tastebuds of another potential purchase, so I also ordered the UT Dream Cream, which included Dreamsicle ice cream, orange cream soda, vanilla cream soda, whipped cream and an orange slice delicately placed on top.

Because it served as the main attraction upon my arrival, I chose to sit at the indoor-outdoor bar. The weather was nice and the drizzling sound of the splash pad behind me made for the ideal night out, but to my pure satisfaction my night would soon get better.

As I was handed my two floats, I couldn’t wait to taste them: their nostalgic presence led to some pretty high expectations. And the taste totally lived up to them in every way.

At first, the Mint Mashup tasted more like a chocolate cola than a mint flavored treat, but the more I drank, the more I tasted the underlying mint flavor. It grew on me. By the time I finished the float, I was ecstatic that I chose it as my order.

As for the UT Dream Cream, it completely satisfied. Its flavors exploded in my mouth, and it was everything I thought a Dreamsicle float should be.

The prices weren’t anything to complain about, either. For one float, you can expect to pay $5.75. But if that’s not what floats your boat, you can also consider other featured items: craft sodas, ice cream, waffle sundaes, coffees, hot cocoa, cookie dough and shaved ice.

Because it’s a newly opened business, there are some kinks that need to be worked out, such as the time it takes to receive your float after placing an order, but it’s nothing a little time and experience can’t fix.

Overall, I found contentment in my visit to The Soda Bar, and I will be back.

On a five-star rating, I give the Soda Bar four stars.

For more information, follow The Soda Bar on Facebook.

Table Talk is a foodie’s paradise where you can find true, honest opinions on the most talked-about places in town. For more Table Talk coverage, click here.