Volleyball: Sullivan prepares for final home game of Blue Raider career

Photo by Joi Williams / MTSU Sidelines

The Middle Tennessee volleyball team (7-21, 2-10) is scheduled to wrap up their home season this Thursday against Florida International University. This will be Senior Night and as is tradition, there will be a ceremony honoring the only senior on the team, Sloan Sullivan.

Since she first came to Middle Tennessee, Sullivan has been an instrumental part of the team’s efforts. She plays the position of libero and is a strong defensive specialist for the Blue Raiders. She has had much success on the court with career totals of 208 digs and 25 service aces. With two games to go in her career, these numbers are sure to see an uptick as well.

2017 has been a very good for Sullivan, as she has put up some of her best individual games in her final year. On Sept. 15, she put up four service aces against Robert Morris University. Sullivan showed out once again when she contributed 13 digs against University of Texas-San Antonio on Oct. 13.

So far for the season, she has 111 digs and 20 service aces. She’s rarely away from the court either as she has appeared in _ out of a possible 98 total sets, this is second on the team.

While the team has struggled the last two seasons, Sullivan still believes that she made the right decision to come to Murfreesboro.

“Looking back on it, it’s helped me grow and become a better person,” Sullivan said.

With her being the only senior on a young team, the libero is certainly a source of knowledge and advice for many of the underclass players that will follow her. When asked if she had any advice for up-and-coming players, she believes that appreciating the journey is more important than getting to the final destination.

“Don’t take it for granted,” Sullivan said. “Take it all in because it goes really fast and you can’t get it back.”

Senior Night will be on Thursday at 6 p.m. when the Blue Raiders will take on Florida International. Middle Tennessee will wrap up their regular season on Saturday at North Texas.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.