Sidelines Guidelines: How to conquer midterm week

Photo by Andrew Wigdor / MTSU Sidelines Archives

Story by Madison Zygadlo / Contributing Writer

It’s the week of midterms, but I don’t have to tell you that. You’re probably already stressing over all your stress, which can quickly spiral into an overwhelming state. It’s scary — so much so that it even seems like we won’t make it through the week, but there are a few things you can do to make midterms a bit easier.

Below are some tips and tricks to get you through the week without crying into a latte.

Organize and Prioritize 

The key to conquering midterms is to not overwhelm yourself. That’s easier said than done, I know, but it is achievable. Simply writing out everything that must be done throughout the week — studying, papers, participating in discussion boards — can help you stay organized. By going into the week with a game plan you’ll save yourself from an overload of stress. After that’s done, it’s up to you to prioritize your assignments by weighing their importance.

Designate Times For Studying

Remember when you got by in high school without studying? Well, in case you need a wake-up call: this isn’t high school. Sure, you’re keeping a tight schedule between schoolwork, jobs and extracurricular activities, but don’t let that be what holds you back from that passing grade. Go ahead and practice your time-management skills and set aside specific times to study.

Find a Study Group

We’ve grown to dread group work (understandably so), but sometimes all you need is some extra help. Finding a good study group can be really beneficial, because things you don’t understand someone else might, and vice versa. Plus, if something totally stumps you and your study group, you can all silently sob together.

Yes, Get That Caffeine

All things — most, at least — are good in moderation, right? Right! College students are often looked at as over-caffeinated and sleep-deprived. While that may be true sometimes, if you’re going to completely overdo it there’s no better time than midterms week. Don’t be afraid to size up on that Americano!

Walk Away When Frustrated

If you get overworked to the point where you’re reading pages but not retaining anything, take a 10-minute walk around campus. At this point, you’re doing more damage than good, which only inhibits your learning, so take a moment to breathe. Return to the chapter only after you’ve releases that stress-induced tension. 

Have a Little Confidence

Going into the exam, don’t stress. More often than not the professor makes the test sound more difficult than it actually is. Regardless if that’s the case or not, you’ve done the work thus far and as long as you put in a sufficient amount of study time you’ll be just fine.

Now, you don’t have to tell me that midterm exams can be frightening and stressful. The mid-semester slumps have totally kicked in, and it really doesn’t help when only a few exams separate you from spring break. But the good news is, only a few exams separate you from spring break! So buckle down and consider these tips and tricks, and you’ll be well on your way to better days. Now, go grab that Americano with four shots of espresso, and conquer midterm week.

Previous The Academic stun fans on their first visit to Nashville at The Hight Watt
Next Review: 'Game Night' proves to be a refreshing comedy