Table Talk: Fuzzy’s Taco Shop staggers at mediocre but demands return

Photos by Tayhlor Stephenson / Lifestyles Editor 

I’m a sucker for burrito bowls. I love the idea of getting to munch on all the goodies bundled inside of a burrito without actually having to deal with the flour tortilla that — after several attempts to keep it in tact — inevitably falls apart. So, I planned a visit to Fuzzy’s Taco Shop.

Fuzzy’s made its Murfreesboro debut in June at the Fountains at Gateway. If you’ve yet to wander the fountains, just know this is the new trendy part of town. It’s the home of Burger Republic, Nothing Bundt Cakes and its most recent addition, Kitchen Fresh.

So, should or shouldn’t Fuzzy’s be overlooked in its compact setting? I was about to find out.

To nobody’s surprise I ordered a burrito bowl, which I chose to fill with fajita chicken. Other ingredients included lettuce, rice, beans, guacamole, shredded cheese and cilantro. While its ingredients seemed pretty typical of a burrito bowl, its taste was anything but. I can vividly remember that first bite. And wow, what a bite it was: My mouth was hit with a full-on explosion of flavor that I’ve never experienced from a burrito bowl before. The $7.99 I hesitantly gave up minutes prior had now payed off. And if you ask me, Fuzzy’s trick is their commitment to include a generous serving of cilantro in its dishes. But whatever it is, they’re surely doing something right.

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop offers rich-flavored burrito bowls in Murfreesboro, Tenn. on Feb. 22, 2018. (Tayhlor Stephenson / MTSU Sidelines)

At this point, Fuzzy’s could do no wrong in my mind. If my food was this tasty, everyone’s was, right? Wrong.

A friend, who ordered a fajita chicken taco and brisket taco, wasn’t as pleased with the meal, and rightfully so. After taste-testing the tacos, I completely concurred: the meat was served cold and the brisket was tough, which made it difficult to chew. Plus the rice and beans, which accompanied the two tacos, deemed pretty average.

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop serves Mexican-style dishes in Murfreesboro, Tenn. on Feb. 22, 2018. (Tayhlor Stephenson / MTSU Sidelines)

This only confused me, though. My meal was, in its simplest terms, truly delicious. But my friend’s wasn’t. So would I return to Fuzzy’s or leave and never look back?

Well, the atmosphere of the taco shop was rather inviting. Its multi-colored walls and overall fun vibe reminded me that this place was worth giving a second shot. Additionally, the employment staff were all pleasantly helpful, which provided a second reason to return.

Then I learned that Fuzzy’s is a pet-friendly environment, a quality rather unique to the Murfreesboro community. After hearing this I promised to return with my pooch.

Overall, Fuzzy’s definitely has room to improve, but it did offer some promise. The ingredients in my burrito bowl boomed with flavor, and the atmosphere excelled. For these reasons, Fuzzy’s Taco Shop earns a 3 star rating.

Table Talk is a foodie’s paradise where you can find true, honest opinions on the most talked-about places in town. For more Table Talk coverage, click here.